Tuesday 21 April 2015

New learning from 20 days operation of solar power system
It is almost 3 weeks since my system was installed. I have been manually collecting data on the generation and impact of heavy load on the system. Some interesting things have come out.
1.    The generation appears to be heavily influenced by consumption that too consumption at what point of time. If more units are consumed in the first half of the day, generation is generally higher that day.
2.       If the consumption is high in the later part of the day, more units get generated in the early hours of the next day
3.       These are qualitative observations. After collecting data for some more days, maybe I will attempt to quantitatively establish the relationship (if at all it exists)
4.       In my previous note, I had suggested that the solar panel capacity be dictated by average daily consumption. Now I realize that the peak load also should be factored in for sizing the panel. I find that whenever I start my submersible pump (bore well) the battery voltage drops significantly by 4 to 5 volts and later on continued to drop by almost 0.2 V to 0.3V every minute. My installed solar panels has a capacity of 1.5kwp but the pump consumes more than 2.3kw. Obviously there is more than 1kw deficit between generation and consumption during this period which gets supplemented from energy stored in the battery. This is a heavy drain and I have to be careful in seeing that the battery does not drain out so much that one has to draw power from the grid. So I have been operating the pump in short bursts for 3 to 4 times a day
5.       Going for more panels means more redundant capacity. As such even now I find that the installed solar panels are fully utilized. The moment the batteries are full and there is no consumption the generation stops. One day when we were away from morning till evening, the generation was only 3.3 kwh. Only on three days generation has crossed 7kwh. The rest of the days the generation ranges from 5.5 to 6.5 hovering around 6kwh. May be I am losing a potential of 1 to 1.5 kwh generation daily.
6.       This loss in potential can be arrested if we are able to sell this power to the state grid. This facility is available at present in only a few select location (and I am not lucky enough to be there). If that happens it is likely that the commercial viability will substantially improve. In my next note, I shall let you know what my generation cost is.  Being only an Engineer by profession, the Chartered or cost accountants need to approve my methodology of arriving at the cost. On many occasions during this period I am in a dilemma – certain times I feel that I should be liberal in the consumption of electricity so that generation is not skipped due to ‘saturation’. Other time I feel like restricting the consumption since I have a limited stock from where to draw power from. Either way leads to inefficiency and wastage or idling of resources
7.       If the state can assure 100% power availability to those who set up such power plants and purchase the excess power from them, the need to have a battery backup can also be eliminated. It will then have two advantages. Cost of solar plant will come down by approximately 25% because of elimination of batteries and secondly we will reduce handling of corrosive acids in the batteries and be more eco friendly.
This much for timebeing.


No comments:

Post a Comment